How many national championships would Joe Paterno had won if he had the playoff system?

saturdaysarebetter

How many national championships would Joe Paterno had won if he had the playoff system?

Postby saturdaysarebetter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 am

Since Crowbar pointed out to me in another thread that Dunkel and Sagarin had Penn State as national champions in 1981 (thanks Crowbar), how many national championships would Joe Paterno had won if he had the playoff system back then?

https://johnbaranowski.wordpress.com/20 ... l-playoff/

Blue&White

Re: How many national championships would Joe Paterno had won if he had the playoff system?

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:29 am

Well, given it's a counter factual and there can't be a wrong answer, I'm going to say: all of them.
Baseball season!!!!

hbendle

Re: How many national championships would Joe Paterno had won if he had the playoff system?

Postby hbendle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 am

How many times did they finish in the top 4 of the polls? That's your starting point for this what-ifs.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 am

Not sure how many, but a lot more than the officially claimed "2".

I'll say this about Paterno. He was a master at bowl preparation. Possibly the best ever. Rarely did his teams crap the bed on a bowl game.

If the playoffs existed back in the day, I have no doubt he would have been on par with Bear, Saban and even Coach K.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:37 am

I'd like to agree with the above posters but PSU would have had to have been in the top four prior to the bowl season to be chosen. That was all done by voting, the most subjective form of choice there is. I have little doubt that the votes would not have fallen in our favor and being #5 or 6 would have become the norm. I went through fandom since Joe started as HC and history shows me the slights would have taken a new form but ended up in the same manner, outside looking in, again.

I wish I wasn't so jaded to the system but any method that allows human manipulation and worse, a committee, to chose the best will never be accurate or fair. Human nature doesn't allow it. If they came up with a set of scoring criteria prior to the season, a method that didn't assign "looks test" points or reputation points it would be more appreciated.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:45 am

I agree with hbendel's jump off point. We will add in Paterno's 67% bowl game win record for prognostic purposes

First look at the years PSU actually played for NC - 79, 82, 85, 86
> you would assume PSU would not have won 79, 85 because they lost the game they played
> using his win % they would have 1.34 championship (yes I know you can't win .34 championships - hold on)

Next take the years they won bowl game and finished 2 or 3rd - 68, 69, 81, 91, 94, 05
> for obvious reasons we will all assume the 94 was a given - Nuck Febraska
> assume their bowl win would have put them in a championship game
> again using the win % 5 x .67 = 3.35

So 1.34 + 3.35 + 1 (94) = 5.69

If the MNC had always been in place PSU would likely have 5 or 6 NCs by my figuring.
Last edited by sameoldlama on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:50 pm

An interesting asside to the 1979 Sugar Bowl NC vs Alabama. Bama scored a TD with a pass to the back of the end zone just before halftime as I remember. The following day a TV station in PIttsburgh, Channel 4 (a big Pitt fan station), showed a different angle from a TV camera not shown on game day. It showed the ball bounced off the turf ala a Buckeye completion. So, the real score of that game was a tie of 7-7.

I only saw the video one time and the Pitt fan announcer seemed truly sorry that PSU was hosed out of a NC again but the game was over and that was the first and last time I ever heard it mentioned. I doubt most fans every saw that video. The ball CLEARLY bounced up into the arms of the Alabama receiver, off the turf. Guess we were being preemptively haunted by Lemoiner, Honig and the rest. Of course, the bama receiver jumped up like he had actually made a legitimate reception but he must know it was a false positive.

I'd like to have a montage of that along with all the OSU gifts and UM gifts over the years. We have received our share of the same, against Minnesota for one but never against OSU or UM, never.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:00 pm

I'd like to have a montage of that along with all the OSU gifts and UM gifts over the year

Why? Why would you want to do that to yourself? Don't you have enough pain in your life? That's like saying "hey, all those times I hit my thumb with a hammer or stepped on some legos, I'd sure like to relieve those moments".

No thanks.
Baseball season!!!!

psuro

Postby psuro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:42 am

1968 and 1969.

Conversely, if PSU would have scored a dozen or so more points against Pitt in 2016, OSU and MSU in 2017 and OSU and MSU in 2018, then the last three Penn State teams would have probably made the playoffs and had a chance for the NC.

But I digress.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Blue&White wrote:[i]...or stepped on some legos, I'd sure like to relieve those moments".

I stepped on some Legos this morning. It was still dark, couldn't see and I was still a bit drowsy. Next thing you know I step on a Lego with one foot, then I jumped and yelped, then managed to step on a few other Legos with my other foot. That woke me the hell up. They hurt like a mother flubber.

I don't know which was worse, that or stepping on a mousetrap a few weeks ago, which left a mousetrap implant on my foot for a day or so. My wife yelled at me pretty good for that. :?
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994